Tuesday, June 26, 2018

New York Bagels (Not a challenge recipe)

We have developed a taste for bagels in my house which would not be such a bad thing if they were not so expensive! When I realised we were shelling out $1 per bagel I decided it was time to try making them for myself. I (ever so slightly) adapted the bagel recipe listed on Taste and was very happy with the result. Even better than the taste, they cost just under 10 cents each to make!

Ten bagels for the cost of one? I'll take that.

The centres of these incredible bagels are somehow light and fluffy but also wonderfully chewy. But the centres have nothing on the chewiness of the amazing crust. The only thing I need to improve on is making a bigger hole next time so that there is more crust to enjoy. The best feedback was from my eldest who said, "I like the ones we buy, but yours make me close my eyes when I eat them. So good."

If you are also a bagel lover, this recipe is one you must try! 

Fluffy & chewy New York bagel recipe

DOUGH (WET)
1.5 cups very warm water
3 tsp dried yeast 
1 tbsp castor sugar

DOUGH (DRY)
600g plain flour
2 tsp salt

Oil for tray

FOR BOILING
2 litres water
1 tbsp castor sugar

TOPPING (OPTIONAL)
1 egg (lightly beaten)
Seeds of your choice (Poppy, chia, linseed, sesame)
  • Combine the warm water, yeast and castor sugar in a bowl. Stir well and leave for 5 minutes or until frothy.
  • Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. (I used my KitchenAid bowl)
  • Pour wet yeast mixture into the flour and knead for 10 minutes by hand or around 5 minutes in the KitchenAid with a dough hook or until smooth and elastic.
  • Put dough in a bowl (or leave in the KitchenAid bowl), cover with a tea towel and prove in a warm place for 30 minutes
  • Oil a large oven tray
  • Divide dough into 10 x 100g pieces and roll into balls. Poke a hole in the middle of each one (make it a decent size) and place on oiled tray, flattening the bagel a little with your hand. Prove the shaped bagels on the tray under a tea towel in a warm place for 10 minutes.
  • Combine water and sugar for boiling in a large saucepan. Stir well and bring to the boil.
  • Boil bagels, 3 or 4 at a time, for 3 minutes each side (6 minutes total). Use a slotted spoon to move them in and out of the water and to flip them at the halfway point. Place bagels back on the oiled tray when they are done. 
  • (Optional) Brush with lightly whisked egg and top with seeds of your choice. I used poppy seed and linseed. 
  • Bake in a 180°C oven for 18-20 minutes. They should be golden on top and sound hollow when you knock on the underside. 
Cool on a wire rack and resist them for as long as you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment