Tuesday, January 17, 2023

690/1038 - Christmas mince pies

Although I technically missed the Christmas cut off when baking these, I am yet to hear any complaints. As well as feeding my Mum and my two fruit loving boys, these pies made a lovely gift for a friend who looked after our pets while we were away at the beach. I am very, very good at avoiding food that will hurt me but the smell of these amazing little morsels was very difficult to take! 

I couldn't find any mixed peel in the house, and so used chopped up brandied cumquats instead. Apparently the citrus taste was wonderful and quite strong which is precisely the outcome I was hoping for. I also cheated a little and only soaked the fruit for two weeks. I imagine the taste would be further enhanced if it was soaked for a longer period but it is definitely good to know that two weeks is sufficient if expediency is a factor. The only thing I would change if I were to make these again would be to use Stephanie's regular shortcrust pastry rather than the sweet variety. It is unbelievably tricky to handle and according to my husband, doesn't have the same wonderful, melt-in-your mouth feel as the regular version. 

So far, the lucky recipients have eaten them straight up and also smashed into vanilla ice-cream. Reports are that both versions are fabulous. Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment