Thursday, December 27, 2012

221/656 - Cold chinese white-cooked chicken with seared spring onion sauce

I paid a flying visit to Fairfield Farmers' Market a couple of weeks ago and happened across Yapunyah Meadow Grazed Chickenswho were set up conveniently alongside my milkman. I happily relieved them of a whopping 2kg chicken, wondering how on earth my little family of four would get through such a wonderfully large bird. Skimming through the book I was very excited to find this recipe in the chicken chapter that required a 2kg free range chicken. How perfect!

We tend to roast our chickens when they come to us all in one piece, and so I was very keen to see how a boiled chook would taste. The behemoth was boiled in water flavoured with ginger and spring onion (which smelled incredible!), but interestingly only for a very short time. It was then left to sit in the hot water for 45 minutes and finally, was dunked in a tub of ice cold water where it hung out for another hour. I will admit I was worried that it would not be cooked, and was pleasantly surprised at the amazing colour of the skin and meat when it was done.

If the chicken wasn't gorgeous enough, the spring onion sauce took it to a whole new level! I was so pleased I cooked rice to go with this dish as the sauce was way too fabulous to be left on the plate without anything to soak it up. 

We cut up the chicken as Stephanie suggested, in the Chinese manner with a very large, very sharp cleaver. I actually had Trev perform the dissection because I enjoy having two hands and my aim is not at all good. We were very amused at the level of spatter that ensued, and I would highly recommend the use of an apron, and possibly a face mask when performing this activity on such a juicy beast.  

Needless to say it was amazing and as suspected we were left with a small pile of yummy leftovers. Stephanie advised that the cooked chook will last for up to four days. I am a couple of weeks from hosting my second degustation 'event' so of course this has been added to the menu! 

3 comments:

  1. I never knew there was a Fairfield farmers market - I'll have to go along next time. Thanks! And the chicken looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel! Make sure you check out Yapunyah Meadow grazed chickens while you are there - I think they will be back in Marxh.

      Delete
    2. Oops of course I meant March

      Delete