Monday, March 23, 2015

429/1038 - Rice noodle soup with garlic chives and pressed bean curd

There has been quite a lot of blogging involving cabbage lately and so thought I would shake things up with this simple noodle soup.

Eating dinner tonight, I couldn't help but think of Kung Fu Panda as I struggled to capture slippery squares of silken tofu with my chopsticks. It was the, "You are free to eat" scene that came to mind and I was chuckling to myself thinking that somebody should create a chopsticks diet to encourage people to slow down their food intake. It's not a bad idea really, since it takes twenty minutes for the message that you are full to get from stomach to brain; and of course by the time it gets there it is usually too late! 

As she has done so many times in the past, Stephanie provided me with a recipe that is quite simply fast food at its best. So simple to put together, this soup was on the table in minutes and as a bonus, everybody loved it! I didn't have any black rice vinegar and so we topped this with a splash of dark mushroom soy. At a pinch, I am sure regular soy would also have worked to provide the dash of flavour this soup needed to make it truly fabulous. 

The obvious substitution I made was to use silken tofu instead of pressed bean curd, for no reason other than the fact that it was in the fridge and pressed bean curd was not. I also replaced the fresh chilli with a good dash of Darwin Chilli co. hot sauce. The smell of this, together with the fresh ginger in the pan was simply wonderful. 

I highly recommend this soup to anybody looking for a quick feed. Don't forget the chopsticks for a truly amusing experience. 

You are free to eat x

No comments:

Post a Comment