Wednesday, March 21, 2012

139/1038 - Mayonnaise

Mayonnaise, simple right? Not in my kitchen.

I have decided there is one thing that has taken me from being a cook who creates regular disasters to one who can accomplish almost anything in the kitchen given enough time. That thing is the ability to rescue a failed dish.

I decided to third this recipe and so began using only one egg yolk, a waft of salt and a dash of champagne vinegar. In went the olive oil, but only half the recommended amount as I have found this recipe to be rather oily on past attempts. No disrespect to Stephanie intended, I am sure this comes down to personal taste. With the oil added, my mayonnaise seemed a tad runny so I decided to add an extra egg yolk. The result was very, very yellow but the consistency was much better.

I opted for white pepper to pep up the taste and also added more salt, some pepper and an extra dash of champagne vinegar to reduce the oily taste that I abhor in a mayonnaise. I was very pleased with the final result and my curried eggs tasted better than they ever have before.

Added bonus - I somehow managed to ignore the lovely bread I made last night and ate my eggs wrapped in lettuce leaves so a double win for me today!

No comments:

Post a Comment