Wednesday, August 22, 2012

187/656 - Sweet and sour peppers

There are seven peppers in this recipe and I must admit I was tempted to halve this quantity. The only thing that stopped me was Stephanie's footnote that assured me the cooked peppers would last for 3-4 days in the fridge. I was very hopeful that we would figure out enough ways to use them in that time before they became scraps for the chooks. 

What I did not expect was how good these would be on top of a pizza! We entertained guests on both Saturday and Sunday night and unfortunately I was lacking the energy reserves required to pull off something fancy in the dinner stakes. So pizza it was, and this particular topping was very popular and was polished off quite early into the second pizza sitting. 

The recipe advises to adjust with more balsamic, sugar or salt once the cooking is complete and I found I needed to add quite a few splashes of extra balsamic to mine as the cooked peppers were very, very sweet. 

I would definitely recommend this for a pizza topping or simply as a lovely little side dish. And I guarantee they will not last 3-4 days, especially if you have friends over for pizza. 

4 comments:

  1. They'd be nice as a bruschetta topping! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh they would too! Might have to make them again soon...

      Delete
  2. Seven peppers does sound a lot! Glad you didn't have to give them to the chooks.

    I really love Stephanie's footnotes and comments in her recipes. They are more than just tips. They relate her travels, memories and her real love of food as well. They often make me smile and sometimes even make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does doesn't it? Although once I tasted them I was so happy I didn't halve the recipe!

      I agree with you re the notes, tips and stories. The book is so much more than just recipes.

      Delete