Sunday, August 26, 2012

189/656 - Springtime pea custards

This week I threw out a challenge, asking for suggestions as to which Stephanie recipe I should tackle next. The challenge was taken up by the lovely Jen from Off Her Block and so in very unorthodox Sunday night fashion I was busy making pea custards to go with tonight's dinner. 

Chervil was one of the ingredients required for this recipe, and so I went on a quest to see if any of my lovely local shops might have some. I knew I was in trouble when I was in my local hip and funky organic store, and the shop assistant actually thought I had asked if she stocked gerbils. Indeed. In the end I gave up and used parsley instead. 

I would have loved to post a picture of my gorgeous turned out little green custard, nestled between my rabbit and my vegetables. But alas each custard broke down the middle as I turned it out. It seems I greased the sides of the dishes very well but neglected the bottoms, to which my little custards clung for dear life as they were hung upside down and jiggled. Gently at first, and then more vigorously. And we will not even discuss my attempt at beurre blanc. Let's just say I will be posting a much more successful version of that when I am not in ridiculous Sunday night rush mode.

On the upside, the pea custards were fabulous and I enjoyed mine with both my rabbit and my steamed vegetables. I absolutely loved the creamy texture (double-sieved, of course it was creamy!) and nobody in my little family cared that they dropped on to the plates in two pieces. 

Jen made a second request this week which was the country terrine. This was also created in my kitchen today and is presently resting in the fridge waiting for its big unveiling tomorrow night. Fingers crossed it comes out in one piece. 

2 comments:

  1. I love the colour and as they say, it's all about the taste. I'm definitely going to try these.

    Looking forward to seeing the terrine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. Although it is also nice when things taste good AND look good!

      Delete