Wednesday, April 9, 2014

323/984 - Cantonese spiced salt

I have been searching for Szechuan peppercorns for some time now and of course was thrilled when I found them at Parisi Foods near the Queen Victoria market. 

I made this spiced salt tonight in preparation for a tea smoked quail that I plan to make in the next couple of days (which I am very excited about by the way!). I think I will also try the variation suggestion, and will add some five-spice powder to the remainder of this salt so that I can rub it all over some lovely prawns very soon. 

I ground this with the mortar and pestle and found that the peppercorns fell apart very easily. It's always a good thing when I don't have to dirty a big appliance for a small job! 

Not much more to say really; salt, peppercorns, fry, grind, done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment