Wednesday, May 30, 2012

166/656 - Claudia Roden's Middle Eastern orange cake

It's another orange cake! This time sans flour and full of almondy goodness.

This is another one of those recipes I have already made, right back at the beginning of this challenge, uncaptured and unphotographed. I actually think I did a better job of it this time, with the cake ending up nice and heavy but not too moist. 

I narrowly avoided a cooking disaster when I checked on the cake halfway through and realised it was browning a little too quickly on top. I turned the oven down a notch and covered the cake in foil for the last half hour. I recently learned (the hard way) that when covering something in foil in a fan-forced oven, it is important to secure the foil tightly, lest it wind up blown off and clinging to the rear wall of said oven. 

Although the top of the cake was quite brown it was not burnt at all, and created an almost crispy, surprisingly sweet topping. Sometimes I love my little kitchen accidents!

2 comments:

  1. I love this recipe and it is even better with a dark chocolate garnache!! Like a sophisticated Jaffa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mem that sounds wonderful! I will have to give it a try x

    ReplyDelete