Thursday, December 20, 2012

220/656 - Green beans with fermented black beans

Fermented black beans are hard to find! 

Of course I took myself down to Victoria Street in Richmond on a fermented bean search but had to scour at least four Chinese grocers before I struck gold. They are very smelly (the beans not the grocers) and so I have been storing them wrapped in a plastic bag and away from the other food in my pantry. And that's before the packet was even opened!  

I loved this recipe, very quick and full of tasty flavour. I will make these beans again soon, if only to prove to myself that I can cook them without nearly burning them to a crisp! We ate these lovely spicy beans in a very unconventional manner - inside Vietnamese rice paper rolls. They were a fabulous addition to the rolls, tucked inside with some seasoned vermicelli, cucumber, spring onion and wok fried marinated chicken. Rice paper rolls are one of my favourite things to make for dinner, mainly because we all roll our own and it's so EASY!  

I would have liked to take a picture of a gorgeous rice paper roll with lovely spicy beans poking out the top, but alas they disappeared so quickly there was just not the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment