Monday, September 28, 2015

475/1038 - Daikon and beancurd snack (...but with radish)

My husband and I have been together since we were quite young. When we met he was quite the devoted carnivore; dinner just wasn't dinner unless there was meat on the plate. Occasionally I would dish up a vegetarian meal, only to catch him an hour or two later frying up a steak for dessert.

After almost twenty one years together, I am pleased to be able to say that he still manages to surprise me. I put together this little tofu snack and was blown away by just how much he loved it. He wasn't wrong; it was absolutely fabulous, but I just couldn't believe he was that excited about tofu!

I used silken tofu generously provided by Earth Source Foods and was thrilled to find it wonderfully smooth and delicately flavoured. I am never a fan of having to store leftover tofu and so used the entire tub (300g) rather than the 250g listed in the recipe. 

Not being able to source a fresh daikon, I decided to use little red radishes instead, which we all agreed provided a wonderfully gentle bite and also a beautiful pink hue to the dish. 

With roasted nori, ginger, soy sauce and spring onions scattered all over, this was a wonderful snack and an even more fabulous addition to our main meal of steamed rainbow trout. 

...completely meat free and still fabulous x

No comments:

Post a Comment