Friday, May 3, 2013

254/984 - Loukoumathes - Greek honey fritters

These amazingly yummy and SIMPLE little lovelies were a recent Sunday night snack for my family. I was surprised at how fast they were to make, with the batter literally ready in under a minute.

I used a sugar thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature of the oil and then dropped in spoonfuls of batter which I turned midway to ensure both sides finished up golden brown. I got better at making round shapes, working out that the little tails you see in the picture were there because I was pouring the batter in rather than pushing it in very quickly from the spoon. 

Once I covered them in honey and cinnamon and the family figured out how amazing they were, any chance of me getting a photo with my lovely later batch of round loukoumathes had flown out the window. Crispy on the outside and light as air on the inside. Wow.

These were very popular and disappeared in minutes. But simple or not, they are not at all healthy and so it will be a while before we make them again.

I am already counting down the days.

No comments:

Post a Comment