Thursday, May 16, 2013

256/984 - Harissa

We like it HOT in our house!

One of the lovely mums from school offered me a bag of rocoto chillies from her garden which I gladly accepted. This is a hottish variety of chilli, rating somewhere between 100,000 and 350,000 on the Scoville Scale. Right up there with Mr Habanero! The rocoto has distinctive black seeds which made this harissa look very dangerous indeed!

I did the right thing by my chilli donor and made a double batch of harissa and passed half back to her. I decided to leave both spines and seeds in to ensure maximum heat...and received an SMS from Lucy a day later which read, "Just had some harissa on a cracker, you guys are crazy!"

Actually to reduce the heat, I have been eating my harissa on biscuits mixed with olive paste (yes I made it again!) and it was very, very nice. Salty and mind blowing all at once.

Lucy has kindly donated some more rocotos to our house and we are going to attempt to grow our own from the seeds. All going well this harissa recipe will be required on a regular basis. 

Definitely not for the faint hearted.

No comments:

Post a Comment