Wednesday, September 17, 2014

365/984 - Spiced beef curry - daging rempah

Don't you just love it when you make something that blows your family away? 

This curry had the most incredible flavour, with the tamarind adding a wonderful bite. In true Malaysian style I have just eaten the leftovers for breakfast...

There were a few small changes I made to the recipe, some intentional, some not. I used tamarind paste instead of pulp and also replaced the vegetable oil with coconut, which is my preferred oil to use wherever possible. The biggest change I made was the result of a lack of labelling in our freezer, with the defrosted beef turning out to be lamb rump. (Yummy mistake!) I didn't have any dark soy (replaced with regular) and was fresh out of fresh chillies and so used six good pinches of the dried variety. Apart from that I followed the recipe completely!

With a ninety minute simmer time this was not a quick meal, but the long cooking time was absolutely worth it. Unbelievable. 

Blended spices which smelled incredible!

No comments:

Post a Comment