Tuesday, April 7, 2015

432/1038 - Freekeh pilaf with spinach and fried onions

I have an overflowing pantry at the moment and this recipe was my first attempt at clearing out some of the tupperware containers of grains and legumes I have tumbling about in there. Only appearing in the latest version of the Cook's Companion, this recipe is a beautifully flavoured dish which would pair nicely with meat or veg but would also be lovely on its own as a quick lunch. Tonight I decided to serve it with a small pile of buttery, mashed golden sweet potato which we enjoyed very much. 

I used baby spinach rather than English, and instead of cooking and pulverising it, I chopped it finely and then simply wilted it in the pan. 

Had I known how lovely this would be, I definitely would have doubled the recipe! So nutty and quite salty from the stock, it was also given a wonderful lift with the addition of some preserved lemon. 

Big winner on all fronts! Although I still have some freekeh left, so sadly my pantry is no tidier than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment