Sunday, March 29, 2020

672/1038 - Rabbit stock

A friend of my Mum's is doing his bit to reduce the rabbit population in Australia. He presented her with two pre-prepared little bunnies a little while ago and we were lucky enough to be gifted one of them. 

I decided to turn my rabbit into stock so as to use as much of it as possible. The first thing I did was to strip the meat from the carcass which I cooked separately and added to this incredibly flavourful risotto. Good stock, quite simply, makes good risotto. Rabbit stock is rich and full of flavour and so this one was a cracker.

Making different flavoured risotto is all about using a base recipe and then changing the ingredients that make it unique. This is the one I use.
  1. Melt 45g butter in a large frypan
  2. Add a large, finely chopped onion and fry gently until soft
  3. Add 1.5 cups arborio rice and stir through until the grains are coated
  4. With 6 cups of stock on hand, add a cup at a time and stir until mostly absorbed
  5. After 3 cups have been added, season to taste with salt and pepper and throw in your chosen flavours such as chopped vegetables or meat
  6. Continue to add the stock until all 6 cups have been added. 
  7. Stir through 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese and 30g butter.
  8. Enjoy!
If you don't have Parmesan, any other cheese will do in a pinch. I am unable to eat Parmesan right now and so we used mozzarella which worked surprisingly well. If you are watching your weight, you can skip step 7 if you like. The risotto will still be lovely, just not quite as rich.

I would love to hear of other flavour combinations! If you try this at home, please tell me via a comment here or post a pic on our Facebook page.

Stay well, everybody x

No comments:

Post a Comment