Sunday, February 13, 2022

686/1038 - Grandma's bramble cake

The idea of using lard in the pastry for a dessert had my stomach turning. But once I remembered that lard pastry is used in Chinese egg tarts, which of course are the most magical sweet things ever created, I was sold. I decided to include a mixture of blueberries and blackberries in my "cake" just to keep things interesting. The resulting dish was more pudding than cake but was definitely well received by my little family. The soft pastry in the centre blended with the fruity filling to create a concoction that was both sweet and satisfying. The crunchy exterior provided a lovely bite to the dish which is so important for maximum enjoyment. A definite winner and one to be repeated.

That's now two recipes on the board for 2022, a doubling of last year's achievement, and it's only February!

No comments:

Post a Comment