Thursday, September 17, 2026

706 & 707/1123 - Olive oil pastry & Pumpkin, chickpea and sage 'sausage' rolls (but with carrot)

It was my husband's birthday six months ago. After realising we didn't make a big enough deal of it, I decided to make him a special half birthday dinner tonight. These fabulous sausage rolls plus a batch of hand cut chips equaled a half birthday dinner sorted! 

The olive oil pastry was a revelation; a cinch to make, so stretchy, and lovely and crisp when cooked. And the filling! I always cook my chick peas from scratch and when blended, they made the most wonderful sticky paste that held the vegetables together beautifully. I am thinking of making the filling again and using it as a lovely chunky dip! 

The necessary substitutions I made to accommodate my tricky diet were as follows; 

 - As per Stephanie's suggestion, I replaced the pumpkin for carrot 

- I chose purple cabbage over the other options of silver beet or kale

- Salt and pepper were replaced with saltbush and smoked paprika which were cooked in with the vegetables

I did make the Tonkatsu sauce but given that the sun had gone down by the time I had finished, it was a difficult one to add in to the photo. Although not photogenic, it was an absolute hit and highly recommended as a more interesting alternative to tomato sauce. 

Both of these recipes were new in the 30 year anniversary edition, and were welcomed with open arms by my family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment