Saturday, September 26, 2026

708/1123 - Juleigh's wattleseed hazelnut meringue with wattleseed honey cream

The 30 year edition of this cookbook has some wonderful new recipes! Most excitingly, it includes a few I can eat safely without the need for adjustment. My execution of this one was very nearly a disaster, but apart from a necessary adjustment to the presentation, the flavour and texture was out of this world sensational. This is one of those, let it be the last meal I had on earth, type of recipes -  well worth the significant effort and resulting kitchen mess. 

I adore wattleseed. The smoky coffee-like flavour has me swooning, and when paired with honey, it takes this dessert to a very happy place indeed. Knowing that the majority of the honey on our supermarket shelves is sneakily cut with corn syrup or glucose, I recently splashed out on a few jars of the good stuff produced by the bees of a local keeper. The cost was significantly higher but the peace of mind (and the taste!) was absolutely worth the elevated investment. 

Let my effort here be a lesson to all - spraying the baking sheets with oil is a must! As soon as I realised the meringues were not going to lift from the paper unscathed, I decided that an Aussie version of Eton mess was in order. The flavours were incredible, further enhanced by the farm fresh cream I procured from the incredible St David dairy. 

Love this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment