Tuesday, April 3, 2012

143/1038 - Kangaroo tail soup

It has been a gamey week in our house. Venison pie, venison steaks and now roo tail soup. 

The kangaroo tail was easy enough to find at the Queen Vic market (in the deli section if you are interested) but the venison was a different story. I don't have a problem with being a meat eater, but as we travelled down the very long driveway of the Venison Farm in Bass I was trying desperately not to catch the eye of any of the beautiful deer that ran to the fence to have a look as we passed. The thought that we might be taking home one of their parents in our esky was almost too much for me.

Almost, but not quite. The pie and the steaks were delicious and I am quite keen to tuck into the venison roast currently residing in our freezer.


Needless to say I was pleased I did not have to eyeball a kangaroo in order to obtain my tail. The soup needed to simmer for four hours and stupidly I decided to cook this on an evening when a better decision would have been to curl up in bed with a good book. I dutifully simmered and skimmed for about an hour, and then my energy flagged and I ended up on the couch with a glass of wine.

Unbeknownst to me, my soup started to boil and a good amount of it boiled away before I finally came back to do another skim. So what we ended up with was a lovely rich soup with deep flavours, but much less of it than there should have been. I am so glad I caught it when I did and saved enough of the soup to make Skippy losing his tail worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment