Friday, July 20, 2018

613/1038 - Chocolate pithiviers

These gorgeous little pastries were made as a thank you gift for a person who recently did a lovely thing for my family. I wanted these to be fresh on delivery and so got up early in the morning to put them together. Because of the timing, I decided it would be a ridiculous notion to attempt to make the pastry and so (feeling very guilty) I made these from the packet variety. I have no idea why I felt guilty; even Stephanie has admitted to finding the making of puff pastry onerous! Puff pastry is definitely a recipe I will tick off my list when I have a day entirely to myself and am in need of a meditational task. 

Even though the pastry was not my own, I am thrilled to report that the pithiviers were simply wonderful. I generally judge the success of my recipes on the level of arguments that ensue between my boys. The level of pithivier angst was high (I still don't know who ate the last one) and whilst young people arguing is not my favourite thing, it assured me of the excellence of this gorgeous output from my kitchen. 

Because I planned to give at least six pithiviers away, I decided it would be prudent to double the chocolate filling. What I now know is that when you make mini pithiviers and double the filling, not only will you use up a kilogram of puff pastry, but you will also have enough filling left to make not one, but two chocolate tarts! Given how insanely nice the filling is, this is not a situation I was disappointed to find myself in.  

The first tart I made was chocolate with a layer of strawberries underneath. It was OK. The second tart on the other hand was a thing of beauty. Chocolate and pink peppercorns is a combination I will never tire of and the family agreed, scoffing this one in record time. 

Chocolatey heaven; that's my house right now.

Chocolate and pink peppercorn tart

No comments:

Post a Comment