Thursday, September 15, 2011

41/1038 - Cracked wheat and cashew salad with mint

Tonight's recipe represents my first foray into the chapter on nuts. This particular salad caught my eye, more than likely because I can't resist anything with mint, whether it be sweet or savoury.

I was true to the recipe except for substituting cracked wheat for freekeh which turned out very nicely, but required additional water and around 10 minutes of extra cooking time. The dressing (lemon juice, garlic, mint and parsley) was stirred through once the freekeh and cashew mix was cool and added a surprising amount of flavour.

I served it alongside steamed rainbow trout and roasted vegetables and, apart from the usual grumbles about the roast pumpkin, dinner was enjoyed by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment