Thursday, February 5, 2015

411&412/1038 - Diana's fudgy chocolate cake with chocolate and honey icing

My eldest had a birthday recently and he requested a chocolate cake for dessert. This cake is a new addition to the book, appearing only in the latest version of The Cook's Companion. Honestly it was so good it is almost worth upgrading just for this recipe! 

On the evening of my son's birthday I was a bit tired and asked him if he would mind if we had the cake the next day instead. Bless his heart, he just looked at me and told me that he didn't mind at all. Feeling slightly relieved (and possibly a little guilty) I turned to my left only to see my husband with an absolute look of horror on his face. "You can't do that!", he exclaimed, mortified that I had even SUGGESTED delaying a birthday cake. 

I had to laugh and of course made it that night as originally promised. I know I must sound like a dreadful mother, but I am just not as into celebrations as the rest of my family. If Christmas and birthdays were to be cancelled, honestly I think I would cope rather well. It would of course take a large amount of therapy to get my family (and probably the rest of the world) on board. 

...So back to the cake. I am always nervous of pouring mixture directly into a cake pan that is designed to split into two and so I lined the gap with baking paper. Once tasting the mixture I knew this cake was going to be something special and couldn't wait for it to come out of the oven. 

The icing was also magnificent, interestingly not tasting much of honey, but it was silky and wildly decadent for a family who generally eat cakes sans icing. I usually find that I have way too much icing but in this instance the amount was just right. 

Being a huge berry fan, my son loved the addition of blueberries, blackberries and raspberries to the plate and a good dollop of cream was also warmly welcomed. 

Yum, yum, yum. Honestly I can not say that enough times! More light than fudgy, and unbelievably good. Another success...and my mother of the year award still intact. 

Just.

No comments:

Post a Comment