Friday, February 13, 2015

417/1038 - Warm salad of seared kangaroo

It was a hot day in Melbourne today and so caramelising onions was not at the top of the list of things I wanted to do! But I had been promising this salad to the family for some time now, and so I bit the bullet, cranked up the cooling and got cooking. 

Kangaroo is considered a healthy meat choice, being high in protein and low in fat. Eating kangaroo is also considered to be good for the environment as the kangaroos killed are wild rather than farmed, therefore reducing the need for specifically set aside farmed land. In addition, kangaroos are low emitters of methane, a gas particularly damaging to the environment due to its contribution to the degradation of the ozone layer. 

These are all very valid reasons to eat kangaroo, but of course we also eat it because it's fabulous! My family are quite partial to meats with wonderfully strong flavours and kangaroo certainly does not disappoint on this front. 

This was a very quick dish to put together, if you don't count the caramelising of the onions. I will admit that I did not peel my tomatoes, figuring that all of that extra effort would not amount to enough difference in taste for me to consider it worth my while. Lazy, I know. 

Complete with perfectly cooked kangaroo (hooray!) and a gorgeous red wine sauce, we absolutely loved this salad. This recipe is in all three versions of the Cook's Companion which means everybody (well half a million Australians anyway) can join in the fun. 

I promise it will be worth your while x

No comments:

Post a Comment